View Single Post
Old 12-29-2023, 11:17 AM   #9
Gary WA

Default Re: Zenith will flood the engine constantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1291 View Post
I have a Tillotson on my stock engine that been giving me some trouble. Fortunately, I have a Zenith-2 I can use that was rebuilt, albeit 30 years ago.

I thought that I'd try and put it on for the heck of it and the car does idle and rev nicely. However, the moment I start going down the road the car starts to putter out and dies. The only way to restart it is to open the throttle all the way and crank until it roars back. It also leaks gas from something other than the fuel line. I'm guessing that the car is flooding itself somehow.

I should probably give it all new gaskets based on the age of the rebuild, but I wanted to check the carb out and do a few tests. I found out the following:

-The float does not leak after submerging it in gas for several hours
-The float valve does not leak if I blow into the gas line inlet and press on the ball lightly
-The float is set properly (using Paul Shinn's inversion trick shows that the float is at the correct height).
-The main and cap jet do not leak gas if you leave gas in the carb bowl at the correct height (5/8 from gasket)
-The carb adjustment needle DOES, however, have gas pool in the cavity after where it and the carb driver meet if you leave gas in the carb bowl at the aforementioned height

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions of what I should look for next?
Is the GAV (gas adjusting valve) working properly? All jets need to be tight!!!

Last edited by Gary WA; 12-30-2023 at 02:34 PM.
Gary WA is offline   Reply With Quote