View Single Post
Old 04-06-2021, 09:44 AM   #12
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: B block hole repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31steve View Post
The deck is 1/4 inch thick at the hole. Do you think a plug wouldn't hold?
Steve, while it is possible that using a tapered cast iron plug would repair this, I honestly feel like there is more to this that you can't see.

My questions are as follows;
  • Why is there a ground groove across the top of the hole onto the seat?
  • Has the seat foundation cracked where the seat is soon to pop out of the counterbore?

My thoughts are you need to find someone who has a sonic tester that can scan the deck surface. If that checks out, then you need to be able to magnaflux the deck surface and correct any issues found. Then pressure test it once you have a plug peined into the hole. Hopefully you can find someone in the Asheville area that has that equipment to help you. If not, I am over the mountain from you about an hour away.

The bottom line in this is that it is likely repairable, -but the costs/risks may not be worth it to you. In other words, if this was a rare orphan car block that there was no options for a replacement, then it would need to be repaired however with that would come the need for a fist full of dollars. I'm not sure any of us can truly give accurate or further advice from our computers without knowing what I mentioned above.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote