View Single Post
Old 10-29-2019, 12:40 AM   #8
CarlG

Default Re: What do I need to do to get a reliable engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR. View Post
Aquired my '30 Tudor about 3 years ago. Drove it mostly around town every weekend. One day, sitting at a light something came apart on the crank...still haven't pulled that pan but there are big parts rolling around in the bottom of the pan.

Bought a 2nd engine from a guy locally about 3 months ago for $1,000. Ran good, but lots of blowby and a significant oil leak at the rear of the engine. Decided to go for a 90 mile drive last weekend, only made it about 25 miles. The first 15-20 or so were around town...then on a two-lane highway at about 50mph the "new" engine let go. Knocking at certain RPM and a significant vibration.

90% of my driving is around town, but I'd like to be able to do the occasional 100 mile trip at 50mph or so without leaving engine guts behind me. What do I need to do to get a reliable engine that will go at least 50,000 miles? That'd last me many years. It seems that people have trouble putting together a reliable "A" engine, or at least a few hobbyists do.

I think I want bearing inserts. Pressure oiling seems nice too. What else should I look for in a shop-built "A" engine? Are there any reputable shops near DFW, TX that build "A" engines?
Ron Kelley is in Royce City. I have one of his engines in my pickup. I have no qualms about taking off on a trip of a thousand miles or more.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote