View Single Post
Old 06-20-2019, 08:29 PM   #5
Tinker

Default Re: Need an electrical genius, don't know where to turn.

Wico mag sounds like a tractor. possibly...

Maybe if I can get a .150 mfd condenser I can substitute it for the original?

I would think so if you can mount it to ground. Not to worry as much about voltage.

added from a tractor forum... 6v,12v,24v... Smokstak is a good site too, but for me early tractors, hit/miss, and implement (most being 6v). The Bob referral is just circumstance.

""""McCoy, I agree with Bob. The condensors Voltage Withstand rating is farrrrrrrrrrrrrr higher then 6 or 12 volts anyway, soooooooooooo an off the shelf condensor wouldnt likely be any different if for a 6 or 12 or heck even a 24 volt system etc., CUZ THEY ARE RATED WAYYYYYYYYYY HIGHER THEN ANY OF THOSE VOLTAGES ANYWAY. The condensor is more of a current and energy absorbing passive device then anything thats voltage related or voltage sensitive or voltage dependant. Its job is to prevent premature burning up of the points and it does that by serving an as empty well/bank just sitting there waiting to accept the inrush of electrons that occurs when the points break open and the coils current reallyyyyyyyy wants to keep flowing somewhere, and its absorbing of them prevents as much arcing n sparking across the points which would quickly burn them up.

Its possible that condensors can break down and especially when they warm up, so since they are much cheaper then a coil anyway, Id try a new one if in doubt. If she still has problems after warm up then Id suspect the coil or the points among other things.
Hope this helps understanding of the condensor and why one used on a 6 or 12 volts system is most likely the exact same thing. Its NOT true that all condensors are 6 volts, they have a voltage withstand rating muchhhhhhhhh higher then 6 or 12 anyway as the voltage spike across them when the points break open is also muchhhhhhh higher then that as Bob explained.

Take care yall n God Bless
John T Retired Electrical Engineer """"

Last edited by Tinker; 06-22-2019 at 08:41 PM. Reason: spelling and such
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote