View Single Post
Old 08-11-2020, 08:54 AM   #32
rockfla

Default Re: Electrical Issue advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
Well, a picture is worth a thousand words and Bob C is correct How could this happen. You will be lucky if your armature is not burnt out as current is being fed from the cut out battery wire at the front and fed into the generator all the time. Bad mistake here. To fix it remove the generator cover band. Follow the two generator wires into the generator. The one that goes to the main insulated brush holder is the one that goes to the back or A terminal on the cutout. The other wire connects into the field coils and then goes to ground under the cut out mounting screw. Only the battery wire goes to the front of the cutout. Be very careful to fit those terminal insulators correctly otherwise you will short the terminal screws to ground on the cut out cover. You will have to check the third brush setting so start the engine and rev it up some and read the amps charge on your ammeter. It should be only about five amps for daylight running. If its higher than that then adjust the third by pushing it around. Of course your mystery current draw will be gone now when everything is turned off. Post a new pic of your cutout so I can check it. Regards, Kevin.
Thank you Kevin, I will check it tonight.....My intuition tells me to pull the generator OFF and go have it checked before I proceed????
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote