View Single Post
Old 09-01-2020, 06:48 PM   #11
Synchro909

Default Re: Spring Mounted engine mounts for Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanheacox View Post
Just want to clarify, you're saying that the housings crack more readily with the stock mounts or the FAMs?

FWIW, I converted to FAMs earlier this year and retained the stock front mount. The vibration reduction was noticeable and clutch chatter is not an issue. I used the transmission mount that was included.

There is a great write up from MikeK somewhere explaining how the vibrations of even a mildly hopped up engine, like mine with a 5.5 head and reground cam, produce a ton more vibration than the stock engine and that the FAMs really do help to alleviate that BUT the rubbers need to be soft for them to do the job.
It is my belief that the solid mounts will cause the flywheel housing to crack earlier than with soft mounts.
I have done more to my engine than you have and like you say, vibration is greatly reduced. I didn't use the mount on the cross member and I can induce a slight shudder in reverse but it is not a problem with ordinary driving. I have used the original spring type front mount.