View Single Post
Old 03-02-2020, 12:12 PM   #7
37 Coupe

Default Re: Cracked Wheels ???

Years ago when the old car tire manufacturers were starting to make radial tires to put on older wheels Old Cars Weekly did a story on it. It seems from what they said that pre safety rim wheels should never be used for radial tires because of the side to side stress put on them.One proof of this was it is hard to keep a full rim hub cap like a '37 Ford spyder cap in a wheel rim,they eventually work their way loose as rim to hub rivets wiggle their way loose also.The story was very negative to the then new use of radials on old wheels but the issue died out.I always suspected that the tire makers /advertisers shared their dislike to the publisher. I do know soon after new wheels were starting to be offered for the antique radial tires sizes. Ever notice hubcaps or wheelcovers are not offered on new cars anymore,at least 90% of them. The norm is an aluminum wheel of many different styles and sizes.I one asked at a Ford dealership why this was the case now and was told that new machining processes make them more economical for one reason especially because most are made in China and Italy and othe non USA countries. Another reason was no more lost or flying wheelcovers that wiggle off with aggressive radial tires.