View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 11:20 PM   #4
Synchro909

Default Re: Seat belts - to be or not to be?

I have belts in all of my Model As but.....
We must have about the most stringent rules of all about installing seat belts - so stingent that it just about impossible to install them in a car of this age and have hem approved by an automotive engineer (as they must be, supposedly). I figure any seat belt is better than none so I did fit them anyway. I'd consider it proof that I did the right thing if, after a prang, I was prosecuted. At least I would be here to be prosectuted!
In my Phateon and Tudor. I have lap belts for everyone except the driver. Because a lap belt doesn't help him (steering column in chest), I put a "Y" shaped belt from the strong member that goes accross the car behind and under the back seat and the two "top ends of the Y" each go over a shoulder as part of a harness like a racing driver would use. I feel much better for what I have done.
In my '30 CCPU, I have a lap/sash belt for both people but it is not retractable. Again, much safer.
When people ask about them, I say "I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6". That's then the end of the discussion!