View Single Post
Old 09-23-2016, 08:51 PM   #18
James Rogers

Default Re: Camshaft timing gear rattling noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zener424 View Post
Here's an update:

Timing gear backlash is .003.

Records from the rebuild indicate the center line of the crank shaft and cam shaft is 4.156".

The timing gear is tight on the shaft.

I received a new plunger and spring. There is no significant difference in the length or tension of the new spring vs. the one that was last installed.

Heard from Dan McEachern, he said he has seen this 4-5 times in thirty years with no solid explanation for it. He suggests like Lawrie that I might try an adjustable or solid cam button.

I'm tired of removing and installing the timing cover, so I have decided that tomorrow I will make an adjustable setup. I plan on threading a bolt with jam nut through the front cover, through the spring, and into the plunger that I will tighten and then back off about 1/3.

I'm hopeful, but I'm also mindful of the fact that SAJ installed an adjustable thrust bolt to no avail and till this day has not resolved his problem. I'm kind of hoping that the dynamics of my situation are different in some way and that the adjustable plunger will work for me.

By the way, I have since found three other threads from the past discussing this same problem and some seem to have achieved success with this method.

I will provide results.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Why don't you try a fiber gear and see if it is quieter.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote