View Single Post
Old 09-19-2016, 10:50 AM   #1
Zener424

Default Camshaft timing gear rattling noise

I have a stock engine that I rebuilt using a Bill Stipe camshaft and a Dan McEachern aluminum timing gear with matched drive gear. In addition, the thrust plunger and spring are new. I get an erratic rattling noise that appears to emanate from the upper end of the engine. I've used several recommended methods to try & diagnose the problem. I discovered that if I remove the timing pin and insert a plastic wall anchor in the hole up against the timing gear, the noise goes away. Figuring it was a loose gear or broken/weak thrust plunger spring, I removed the timing gear cover and replaced the new spring with a used spring that appeared stronger. I also made sure the camshaft gear nut was tight. I still have the same symptoms. I ordered a new spring and I will be borrowing a spring tester to check for 35 lbs. strength. I'm wondering however if this could be something else because my thoughts are that I'm not pressing on the center of the gear, but the side of the gear possibly changing the dynamics, cocking the gear, or maybe absorbing some other camshaft/lifter related noise. Does pressing on the camshaft gear through the timing hole and stopping the sound definitely indicate a thrust plunger spring problem?
Zener424 is offline   Reply With Quote