View Single Post
Old 08-09-2023, 02:45 PM   #35
Dave in MN

Default Re: Starting a Road Trip to Alaska

The trailer has a self fabricated metal frame with 3/4” square tubing structure for the sides and portion that hinges to open. The rounded shapes are made of 3/4” wood blocking fastened to the metal tubes. Both the wood blocking and metal tubes are sandwiched between two layers of thin plywood. The wood ribs of the top that form the structure to hold the mahogany bending plywood are made from clear maple.
The top weight is offset by two gas struts.
The floor is 5/8” marine plywood and it is covered with vinyl planking for easy sweep out.
The running gear: Model A front spindles were attached to rubber torsion arms to eliminate the need for springs and the torsion system acts as a shock absorber. Front backing plates were fitted with the rear brake actuators to provide for a lever system to apply the brakes. Cast iron drums were utilized for good heat dissipation. The tongue of the trailer is mounted to the trailer frame with three rear brake shackle bolts which allows the hitch pole to move back when the car brakes are applied. The rear of the pole has a “T” bar attached that transfers this movement to the brake arms. A spring keeps the hitch pole in its forward position until the brakes are applied. When stopping, I don’t notice any difference in the ability to stop. The trailer is skinned in light weight aluminum glued with marine mastic. The aluminum body is 8 feet long, the opened headroom is over 7.5 feet, the door allows me to pass without ducking and I am 5-9. The camper body was designed to see over the top through the rear window of the Model A. The side canvas attaches to the opened shell with stainless snaps. It takes about 10 minutes to set up and take down. I carry two spare tires, one on the car and one bolted to the bottom of the trailer. Any spare will fit any location on the car and trailer.
The trailer weighs about 800 pounds loaded with gear and supplies. There are two small 12 volt batteries with a charger attached to maintain them when I am at a campsite with 110 volt power. The batteries are used to keep my phone and tablet charged for writing my travel log.

Last edited by Dave in MN; 08-09-2023 at 05:55 PM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote