View Single Post
Old 09-27-2020, 02:07 PM   #1
Russ/40

Default Question on Cam Gear Marks - UPDATE

The current status of my miserable running V8.

I decided to start from scratch on this motor. I pulled every piston rod assembly, and inspected for any broken rings. No broken rings. I had a set, so I replaced them anyway.

I pulled all valve assemblies and replaced all valves and springs. This corrected the fact it did have the wrong springs, they were the 52/53 springs. I used flathead valves. I touched up all seats to correct any non-concentricity. An lastly replaced my lifters with adjustables, correcting any lash errors. Lash set to 12 intake and 14 exhaust.

After comparing the cam gear with another, matching bolt patterns and matching marks. I left the cam and crank gears in place. The cam itself has been run in another motor so I was convinced the cam itself is a good 77B.

I disassembled the distributor checking and resetting points to .015". Used new plugs.

The test run on the stand gave a very nice idle, and throttle response did not create any loud exhaust pops, ran a rebuilt 97 for carburetion that gave some adjustability at idle.

Net result I cannot get timing correct. With the distributor at typical settings HELMIT DISTRIBUTOR TYPE it idles slow at 25 degrees advance. When setting up a timeing marker, i used a dial indicator for TDC number one, and included a degree scale for testing.

Side distributor timing set for 1/2 increment advance, like every other flathead I've had which was correct. Net is again 25 degrees advance at idle. Vacuum brake is screwed all the way in, but will still advance to about 35 degrees with RPM.

What the heck am I missing here. It's hard to start and not running as it should.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote