Thread: Timing Problem
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2020, 12:12 PM   #12
40 Deluxe

Default Re: Timing Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
If the rotor tip doesn't point correctly the engine won't run . Where the rotor tip points is where the spark goes . The opening of the points controls when the spark happens . The points can be adjusted so that they will be just ready to open . Factory specs for points gap is eighteen to twenty two thousands . Less gap within specs retards timing , more gap advances timing . I adjust mine so that the trailing edge of the rotor tip points at the number one pin contact in the distributor cap body with no clockwise backlash . Counter clockwise backlash has no effect on timing . I then adjust the points gap within specs so that the points are just ready to open .

Well, obviously if you set the points cam so the rotor tip points to number 2, 3, or 4 terminals in the cap, the engine won't run, so we set the cam so the rotor tip is pointing at #1 terminal. But that is not what determines the timing. Timing is determined by the opening of the points. The rotor just delivers the spark, it does not time it.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote