View Single Post
Old 10-16-2014, 04:48 PM   #27
Brian T

Default Re: Front Axle Straightening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
Any used axle is likely to be bent.

From years of just being driven you have road forces pushing rearward on the stub of the axle out board of the perch. Think of the billions of hits at speed hammering the metal rearwards. Then all the time the car hits curbs and such.

To make matters worse, any axle that has been heated will be MUCH softer and even more likely to bend with less force.

So if you do get another axle you have to know if it is within spec. Otherwise you may not be better off.
The first thing to do if looking for a used axle is to check the king pin holes for wear, if excessive this may cost to much to fix depending our much further straightening is required, ---- in addition look to see if the axle is bent forward, usually caused from towing at its center, not a big problem ---- if you have a good eye look from one end to the other if it appears close then you may have a easy fix axle beam.
Kevin, I used your tips to make up my alignment rods, the axle I found I believe had not been used, it was straight and the angles were 7 degrees at the king pins and perches, which yielded 2 degrees positive camber at the wheel.
Regards Brian, and thanks for the tips.