Thread: Tranny Leak
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2014, 01:51 PM   #15
Tom Endy

Default Re: Tranny Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
No question that both seals will work. I wonder about the seal in the bellhousing (not having experience with it) whether it will inhibit motion of the shifter rails? Might be a cause for hard or at least "less natural" shifting.

Not sure about the sealing methodology based on the pix.

Joe K

The seal mod for the bell housing was developed by the Mitchell overdrive company. The synchro transmission they sell for the Model A uses a thinner oil. Their theory was that this mod will eliminate the oil that gets past the two shifting rails in the transmission tower.

I have always believed that what little oil that gets past these shifting rails lubricates the felt pad installed in the base of the bell housing that lubricates the ball in the end of the front radius rod.

In a standard Model A transmission I have never seen the need for this mod. The mod that bolts to the back of the transmission that blocks oil from leaking past the cluster and idler shafts is worth while if that is where it is leaking.

When overhauling a Model A transmission I always install sealed ball bearings front and back and cluster and idler shafts with the O-ring mod. It is also important that both front and rear oil slingers are installed correctly, even when sealed bearings are installed.

What I think this fellow's problem is that he is missing the proper washer at the end of the U-joint and oil is passing under the six flutes of the main shaft and past the U-joint and into the U-joint housing. Oil dripping out of the U-joint housing has to be coming from the transmission.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote