View Single Post
Old 10-16-2021, 11:29 AM   #69
Kilohertz

Default Re: Let's start a junkyard fuel injection discussion

After a crazy busy stressful summer dealing with wildfire threats, work etc., I am getting ready to continue the FI system for the flathead.

I finally found a 2.8L throttle body which has 1 3/8" bores that match the Fenton 4bbl bores. I came up with an idea to use the 4bbl manifold, by rotating the throttle body 45* to match up the left front/right rear holes of the manifold. The bore spacing of the TB is only about 1/8" wider than the diagonal bores of the manifold so very little machining will be required, and the TB mounting holes will be out of the way of the 4 square bolts of the manifold. I would remove that Holley 4bbl adapter and build my own to match up the bores and mounting bolts required, and cover up the other two unused intake bores.

I also have made tremendous progress on the software side of things. I'm using the 1990 GM TBI system and have TunerPro software which allows real world data manipulation of all parameters, fuel, spark etc. and then programs that into a BIN file which I can then burn into the PROM, which pops back into the ECM. I found some EEPROMS which are reusable chips that can be erased in seconds and programmed the same.

I'm still busy at work but have all of this in place for when the snow flies and work slows down.

What do you think about mounting the TB rotated like I describe? I don't see why it wouldn't work. Each plane of the manifold is isolated from left to right. The gasket I used in the picture is from the larger 4.3 TB, the 2.8L has smaller bores.

Looking forward to getting this running this winter.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0418.jpg (90.8 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0417.jpg (86.0 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0415.jpg (98.7 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by Kilohertz; 11-04-2021 at 11:09 PM.
Kilohertz is offline   Reply With Quote