View Single Post
Old 02-28-2021, 07:18 AM   #2
nkaminar

Default Re: Wheel Size regarding Radials

As you stated, radials are available for the 19 inch wheels in both blackwalls and whitewalls. They look like the original tires but have the radial cords. People have reported that they handle better, ride better, steer better, and brake better. The steering in a Model A is not meant to handle the 16 inch tires and my experience with those tires is that the steering is more difficult. I also think the 19-inch wheels and tires look better and more appropriate on a Model A. But lots of people like the 16-inch wheels and tires.

Braking is a function of the coefficient of friction, not the width of the tire. Braking force is proportional to the downward force times the coefficient of friction, nothing else. Modern tires have a better coefficient of friction. That includes the modern 19-inch radial tires for a Model A. I don't think 16-inch tires will buy you much over the radial 19-inch tires.

Tubeless tires have to be used on rims that are designed for them. The radial 19-inch tires have to be used with tubes. I don't know about the 16-inch rims but suspect that tubes are needed there too.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 02-28-2021 at 07:30 AM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)