View Single Post
Old 11-12-2010, 06:41 PM   #129
John Stone

Default Re: What drove you towards the Model A hobby?

When I was about 12 years old, I watched the Untouchables. My parents said they really didn't like me seeing all the violence. Told them I was watching the old cars. I'm not sure they believed me. In 1959 (15 years old) I worked driving a truck during wheat harvest. The farmer had a Model T chasis in the trees. I wanted to buy it but he said no. Later that year my Dad (section forman for the Sante Fe railroad) came home and talked about seeing an old car at abandoned farm. I ended up buying a 1920 Essex tourning car for $55 (sold it later for $500). My Dad and brothers got interested and picked up a lot of Model T stuff. I found a 26 T coupe which I was working on. Needed some tires so I bought a Model A farm trailer that had 21" wheels and tires for $10 which I removed for further use. Then Dad (bless his heart) came home and said he had traded the trailer for a Model A pickup. The farmer was going to cut it up to make a trailer. We went and towed it home that evening. About 10 miles on a dirt road. Turned out it was a late 31 steel top/wide bed. That got me started. Only have 4 Model A's right now and the 16 Model T that Dad fixed up in the late 60's. As you can see, Dad helped a lot. He never owned a Model A. Bought a new 1928 Chevy. He always called Model A's "Old ass breakers".
John Stone is offline   Reply With Quote