View Single Post
Old 09-23-2021, 01:54 PM   #12
Crankster

Default Re: Tuning issue - updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in TN View Post
Let's pretend that I have rotated the housing as far as it can go and am still needing more rotation- How mush of a PITB is it to pull the dist up, and 'back rotate' it to gain more adjustment? I put the motor together, but can't recall the mechanism...
Well let's further pretend that the ... um .. that person .. who put the motor together ... decided that the little 2c spring clip that secures the oil pump rod doesn't really do anything. Without the spring clip it is possible that the oil pump drive rod will stay along with the distributor on removal in this instance. It is also possible too, for it to fall down into the oil pan on many V8 engines. This is widely viewed as unpleasant, or so I've heard. I think on a Y-Block it wouldn't be quite as bad, but it would still maybe require dropping the oil pump to retrieve it. Maybe a magnetic retrival tool would work?

Anyhoo, before you proceed does this situation ring a bell? Just something to beware of, just wanted to point that out. That little 2c clip on the oil pump drive rod is there for a reason, and many people have discovered this the hard way.

Now, to avoid pulling the distributor, you could just move all the spark plug wires over one socket. The distributor itself doesn't really care which terminal is "#1" so long as the plugs are in proper firing order. But, the "clocking" has to allow for sufficient mechanical clearance of the housing back and forth to and fro, to set the timing. As you've discovered. My ODC does not allow for this kind of debauchery!

So you'll have to pull the distributor out if you want to get everything setup according to Hoyle. Hold your tongue just right, and allow for some Kentucky windage because of the helical gears, have to lead it a bit. Mark the distributor housing with a sharpy if necessary in alignment with where the rotor is pointing when at TDC #1 on the compression stroke. Remember, the distributor cap is removed so it's tough to gauge. You'll see where it needs to drop in at though, I think this is right about where one of the spring clips is at. It can be a bit of a pain in the you know what.
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote