View Single Post
Old 04-19-2020, 06:46 PM   #5
tubman

Default Re: 8BA head measuremt help needed

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Here's something I posted on the H.A.M.B a day or two ago. It has to do with head clearancing, and optimizing the "squish" to maximize efficiency (power and economy).

"The original heads will perform just about as well as fancy aftermarket finned heads if you get the "squish" right. The process involves using aluminum foil balls on the top of the piston and then turning the engine over by hand. You them measure the compressed thickness of the compressed balls and decide how much has to be milled (taken off) from the head to bring most of it down to a .045"-.050" clearance. You then have to cle(an up any close spots with a die grinder. I think I paid $25 a head ($50.00 a pair) for the last set I had done. An interesting aside here is that after I determined what the best "cut" on each head would be, the amounts ended up being different. .030" from one and .040" from the other on one set I did, if I remember correctly. I haven't mentioned head to valve clearance, because it has never been even close to a problem with a stock cam; you should put a foil ball on top of each valve thought, just to be absolutely sure."
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote