View Single Post
Old 10-25-2020, 12:17 AM   #19
Yoyodyne

Default Re: L-100 cam in a 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Where do you get under size cam bearings.??
Gramps

Most of the new parts sellers have them, they are currently made. I have a set I don't need now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Cam journals measure between 1.796-1.797". Wear limit is 1.795" Clearance in brgs is .002"
this is what i do; Install .010" undersize cam bearings. Measure the installed dia of each bearing. As a reground cam is ground between centres, I put the camshaft between the same centres and grind the journals to suit the installed bearings. Do not assume that .010" bearings, when installed will measure exactly .010 u/s! Doing it this way ensures perfect concentricity of the camshaft journals and lobes, also, I am assured the correct clearances are in place, with no resultant loss of oil pressure through sloppy clearances.
I had Dave Generous grind my L-100. The only usable core I had at the time was worn undersize and needed the journals ground. Dave said he couldn't do it on his grinder, he wanted me to send it elsewhere first to have that done before he ground the lobes. That's when I bought this set of .010 bearings. I found a the cores I have in parts engines since then while looking for a good block.
Yoyodyne is offline   Reply With Quote