View Single Post
Old 06-11-2020, 11:54 AM   #34
Jim Brierley

Default Re: Can't separate axle shaft from carrier

Les's book is great, one thing I would change is when checking the brg pre-load, Les says to tighten all side bolts without gaskets. DO NOT DO THIS! I do everything with the axles in a vertical position. 1) Bolt the right side housing to the center section, with no gaskets, I just use 4 bolts. 2) Gently set the left side on. 3) Using 3 or 4 feeler gauges arranged around the housings, to hold the L. housing up off the brg., then slowly lower the housing by selecting smaller feeler's until drag is felt. 4) Using 3 or 4 bolts, snug the housing down until proper drag is felt. 5) Keeping track of the total number of shims, then adjust the backlash as John says. 6) On final assembly the shim thickness on each side must equal the total gaskets used, some on each side. Doing as Les says can distort the side housings, and result in oil leaks and improper pre-load on the carrier brgs. Les is a friend of mine, and we have agreed to disagree on this matter. I'm surprised John's carrier is different than yours, must be English measurements! Good luck!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote