View Single Post
Old 06-02-2020, 12:15 AM   #24
bavArian

Default Re: Can't separate axle shaft from carrier

Hello guys,

using a spindle press at work I was able to get the diff carrier off the axle shaft. I've attached pictures of the diff carrier.

There is excessive wear at the bearing surface of axle and carrier, it seems like some metal from the carrier has welded itself onto the outer part of the axle's bearing surface which caused the axle to tilt when it reached the area of the bearing that still has roughly original diameter.

No wonder it refused to come out!

If I had to guess, I'd say that someon in the past used that car as a stationary engine with one wheel up and that caused the problem, just like it was posted before. The right axle probably got replaced in the past, because it's in MUCH better shape.

The question is what to do now, as far as I see it there are basically 2 options:

1) Get a new diff carrier and just replace it, including a new setup of the entire rear end.

2) Machine the bearing surface of the diff so that it's smooth and use the same carrier again.

If I machine the carrier, I won't have a nice fit of carrier and axle anymore. The question is if it's even needed under normal driving conditions because the force as well as the rotational speed of the axle inside the diff carrier should be quite low as the axle only rotates in the carrier if the car is going through a corner.

So it either rotates very slow with medium load (driving through a corner at higher speed) or it rotates a bit faster with low load (when turning). Correct?

In case that this is not an option and the carrier is not usable anymore, I will have to get an entire new carrier and set up the diff again. I'd like to avoid that if possible, but if I ruin the new axle when doing that I'll have to swallow it and go that route.
So, what would you do?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carrier1.JPG (162.8 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg carrier2.JPG (179.4 KB, 93 views)
bavArian is offline   Reply With Quote