View Single Post
Old 06-04-2021, 10:53 PM   #5
trevorsworth

Default Re: Coupe body wood questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in WNC View Post
I sure like the look of that "top".
if I were working on a hooptie like this, I'd want to leave it intact.
Maybe work from the inside to McGuyver header wood just good enough to support the windshield......
The easy way out would be to remove this top, fill the screw holes and revert to a stock roof. I'm in the process of removing all the old bondo from the body and closing up the few small rust holes it has, so it would just be another couple hours worth of metal work. But I really do like the look. It is just the right amount of podunk for the 40s/50s jalopy look, and it is something nobody would consider doing to a body this nice today, so I think will remain pretty unique.

Sadly due to water inundation all the wood is beyond saving. It comes away in chunks easily. Only three of the windshield screws make contact with anything and only two of them have enough material to tighten down.

I can't remove the visor easily (the top is screwed to it) but it looks like I can probably finagle the steel header panel out and work the header wood in from the front. But that still leaves the above door wood and the roof support ribs. Were I a better woodworker I'm sure I could simply make up some ribs that screw in from the bottom instead of the top - maybe I can find someone local to help out.

I can't be the only one to ever have a conundrum like this.

Last edited by trevorsworth; 06-04-2021 at 11:02 PM.
trevorsworth is offline   Reply With Quote