View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 12:22 PM   #27
George

Default Re: vinegar for cleaning

Reporting the results of filling the gas tank with white vinegar: Disconnected the battery first to prevent any sparks while working on the fuel system. It took almost 11 1/2 gals to fill to the top of the filler. I drained a small amount through the sediment bowl to prevent sloshing onto the paint work.
I left it for 2 weeks, rocking the car almost every day (whenever I would walk past it). Then I drained the vinegar which by the way was now rusty in color, back into the plastic jugs it came in and refilled the tank with water, hopefully to neutralize the residual acid on the metal.
I added a gallon of gasoline to the tank and rocked the car a lot to mix with what water remained in the tank and drained it. Then added around 5 gallons of gasoline and observed that my fuel gauge was now not working.Drained the gasoline out and removed the fuel gauge. SURPRISE!!!There was NO trace of the cork float remaining what so ever.
Did have a new cork replacement in my parts bin so I took care of that . reinstalled, and now works fine.
Refilled tank with 5 galons previously removed and began the process of draining the tank through the sediment bowl and out the gas line that I disconnected from the carburetor. Was still collecting water in sediment bowl at this time , so I continued draining until the sediment bowl remained clear of water etc. This took a while and I noticed that my fuel flow when draining was not improved from where it was when I started this process so I began checking for fuel delivery restrictions and DID find a significant restriction at the outlet of the sediment bowl tubing connection. What I found was (EUREKA) the tubing was pushed too far into the ferrule thereby restricting the fuel exiting the bowl assembly to the carburetor. Probably my real problem all the time. After trimming the excess tubing from the fuel line, fuel gushes from the fuel line as it should. And now, I check the sediment bowl frequently, did collect a further amount of sediment / water (which was pretty negligable) and feel that I did accomplish something good for the old girl after all.
This is my report. Good Luck on your projects. Bye.
George is offline   Reply With Quote