View Single Post
Old 01-05-2014, 04:25 PM   #14
Patrick L.

Default Re: Front brake adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac View Post
I am only discussing the front brakes as the rear brakes are good. All brake linings were chamfered when installed and the linings are not unduly worn. The front brake levers are set about 15 degrees forward. I adjusted the front brakes only with a wrench using the adjuster on the backing plate, until there was a slight drag when turning the wheel by hand. Then there is no braking action until I rotate the adjuster further. Then I get good front brake action but very hot drums, even when driving along without using the brakes. Sounds illogical I know, but that's what is happening.
It appears we're having a problem with terminology. The info that your getting from us is all good.
You mention adjusting with the wrench, which means you're turning the square headed do-hickey, thats the adjusting wedge. Keep adjusting that until the drum barely turns freely from the tight locked position. Work the actuating lever a few a times and readjust the wedge again until the drum barely contacts the brake shoes. You want the drum/wheel to turn freely. Then, leave it alone.
Next look at the actuating lever, pull/push lightly toward the back of the vehicle to remove any slack. It should still be forward of vertical. Then pull on the brake rod and adjust the brake rod clevis until the clevis pin just fits into the clevis. Thats it.
Take for a ride and see how it acts. If one wheel needs a little correcting, then I readjust the rod length, but, most give a wedge a click [ tight wheel a click looser]. Overheated drums come from too much contact with the shoes.
I haven't said anything much different from the others, just trying to explain it in maybe a different way.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote