View Single Post
Old 12-21-2018, 10:00 PM   #2
G.M.

Default Re: 35 Ford Cooling Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack99 View Post
My story:
35 Ford V8
Initial problem: Over heating due to coolant siphoning from radiator via overflow tube

My Cure: Installed the pressure valve tube that hook up to overflow tube. purchased from Skip Haney who sells a great product.

Result : Total cure from overheating problem solved-- no more loss of coolant

Current issue: Took Radiator cap off to check antifreeze mix as it is getting cold. Found level to be ok.

Took car for a drive about two miles . Half way into it the temp gauge began to rise. Before getting home It was HOT.

Checked coolant level and it was down. Radiator hoses were collapsed and returned to normal once radiator cap was removed. I refilled radiator with about 2/3 of a gallon on coolant and all seems ok while running in driveway. Have not driven on road as of yet.

Question? Why did hoses collapse? My Thoughts are that the cap did not seal tight enough so the pressure did not increase to the 3 lb level .

What do all of you think??
I look forward to your input.
The problem is as the coolant in the engine drops through 155 degrees
it forms a vacume in the engine and sucks the hoses in. The cure is to get
a small plastic recovery bottle and run a hose from the over flow tube to the bottom of the bottle with the hose cut on an angle so it don't get shut off.
Put another tube in the cap so it fits tight and let that go down in the bottle about 2 inches. Run that tube down under the radiator with Skips valve on
the end with the red dot towards the bottle. I can't remember but if the bottle sucks in it will have to have a small vent hole in the top. Sit the bottle
of the top of the frame. G.M.