View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 06:48 PM   #6
Synchro909

Default Re: Balance or not??

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
A wheel balance problem at 20mph indicates to me that either the tyres are not fitted properly or they are faulty. Spin each wheel with car lifted off the ground and see whether they run true - no wobbles or bobbles (love this tech talk!). I suspect that is where your problem is but if not, maybe the tyres are duds.
Dyna beads might be your easiest solution but I have never used them myself.
To balance a wheel, I melt the lead out of an old battery and pour it into the Vee made by laying a piece of angle iron on its back.Then I put the wheel on a free turning hub and find the heavy spot. I use masking tape to hold conventional wheel weights to the wheel till I get it balanced. Then I measure the length of the lead "stick" I have made and weigh it. It is a very simple calculation to work out what length I need to have the same weight as the total of the taped on weights. I then simply wrap it around a spoke - job done. Sometimes, I wrap a little black raped around the lead weights to make them a little less obvious on my black wheels. After doing this, my car has no vibration at 60 mph (the maximum we are allowed to do).