View Single Post
Old 11-21-2021, 08:50 AM   #3
Conaway2

Default Re: Replace differential seals and gaskets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThosD View Post
Is there info for changing differential gaskets and seals that does not require disassembly of the gear set and spider? My eyes are getting bleary from searching the Model A forums and the Big Red book goes straight to a complete tear down.

I have noticed that my differential is weeping between the axle bells and the banjo and the left side grease seal is leaking. I would like to just change gaskets and seals. I only drove my car for few blocks before I started tearing into it to redo the brakes and refurbish the steering and leaf springs, so I am not aware of any bearing or gear issues.
To answer your question - no. The only way to replace gaskets and seals is to disassemble the rear axle. Plenty of info on this is available online. The best reference I;ve seen is the article by Tom Endy of the Santa Anita A’s.

Don’t be intimidated - this is easier than it sounds if you have access to a spring spreader and have a helper. And, there are people on this forum who can help with any questions you have.

Good luck - Jim
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote