View Single Post
Old 03-17-2021, 06:56 PM   #13
JayJay

Default Re: Engine Number No Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
I think both of these were restamped after engine was installed in the car. Just my guess. After, and installed being the key words. Is the car you are considering titled in your state already? Most states don't require a VIN verification as long as it is already titled in that state.
It's clear mine was restamped - the engine casting has been ground smooth, and you can see vestiges of the old numbers underneath. Regardless, that's the number on the title, and when I went to re-register I didn't even have the car running and there. They just accepted the old title (and my check). Title transfer was California to California, and that's consistent with how I've done other registrations.

Previous owner brought the car in from Wisconsin but told me all he had to do was give the DMV the old title (and a check) and all was well.

I'm thinking when I have the car apart I may stamp the engine number onto a convenient place on the frame. Since the original frame number is hidden, only a Model A buff would know to look for it under the body, and Ford never represented that the frame number was the vehicle number (in fact, the owner's manual states that the engine number is the vehicle number - and I did NOT say VIN, I said vehicle number) all I'll be doing is putting a random number on the frame without any attestation of what it means. I mean, I could stamp my birthdate onto the frame and nobody would question it?

Judging from what I've found, my car is an original early 1930 Murray Town Sedan with a replacement engine, plus a really poor repaint sometime in the past. Now that I know it doesn't have the original engine I don't feel as bad that I'm not making a fine points car out of it.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote