Thread: Insert bearings
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2017, 10:42 PM   #50
hardtimes

Default Re: Insert bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MN View Post
See post #46: These inserts designed specifically for the Model A are supplied by Antique Engine Rebuilding (AER), Skokie, IL.
They have worked very well for me.

If you look close, you will see the Plastigage marking on one half of the shell. The initial clearance was between .0015" and .00175" before honing. Between .002" and .0022" when honed to proper clearance.

hardtimes: I used two piece (two wide set with a radial oil ring between them) Clevite & Fed Mog bearings on about 16 engines but have not done so for the last 5 years. The supply for these bearings was getting difficult to find readily. They were constantly being backordered when I would order multiple sets. The two piece inserts worked good also. They were tri-laminated. Babbitt over copper on steel. I have two piece Fed Mog inserts in my Phaeton and have had no issues after 90,000 miles.
Good Day!
Hey Dave,
Thanks much for your helpful response !
I have a full set of main bearing shells for the B engine that I'm planning. Two sets per main. That is why I asked your input. You apparently are a successful A/B engine builder and post helpful pictures of your work ! There will have to be TWO tangs for each half, rather than the one tang on a one piece shell set. Next time, I'll check out AER shells for purchase.

One other question. I have a real nice set of B rods and have been told that inserts are available, if the rods are cut 2.140 (I think?). Do you know of anyone who does this work on original B rods ?
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote