View Single Post
Old 04-12-2021, 04:37 PM   #20
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Highest Reliable Compression Ratio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Maine View Post
I am amazed with all the interest in high compression heads. How fast do you really have to go in a Model A? My Victoria has a touring cam and it idles lousy. With the fast steering and bias ply tires, my car is made for secondary roads doing less than 50 mph. One of the pleasures of the car is getting there eventually and enjoying a 1930s motoring experience safely. Ed
Hi Ed. In the typical Model-A, a high compression head really does not make you go any faster by itself, -it helps you maintain your speed when additional power is needed. Where it helps you go faster is up a hill, -or it allows you to make additional power to pull a faster rear end gear ratio.

A typical 'touring camshaft' should never make an engine idle lousy. The Stipe camshafts typically have more lift (generally a minimum of 0.030" more) than a typical reground 'Touring Cam'. The new Stipe cams including the IB340 and under all idle very nicely, -so I am believing you have other issues that are causing your poor quality idling.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote