View Single Post
Old 04-10-2021, 11:19 AM   #24
Neshkoro

Default Re: Engine stumbles on acceleration

Here's an update on the stumbling problem.
I disassembled the carb and checked the various jets and their diameters compared to the old ones and some specs form the Model A Ford Carburetors book. All were tight and the correct diameter. Earlier I disassembled the carb and drilled out the plugs to clean the hidden ports. Plugged the holes by tapping and installing set screws. The new welch plug was epoxied in place.
Now, there is a new spark plugs, new coil, new condenser, new coli wire, new rotor, new style cap and plug wires.
I ordered a new set of points from Ecklers. When I went to install them, first they would not fit on the pivot pin in the distributor. Then the other contact would not screw into the contact block. I will be calling them Monday.
The old contact fit nicely in the new block so I polished the contact surface of the old one and re installed it. Same for the points. I polished the contact and reinstalled them. I'm going to call Ecklers and ask for another set or a refund and then reinstall them.
So, after all that I reset the points gap and the timing and went for a ride. One thing I did notice was if I really adavanced the timing on the steering wheel lever, it did run a bit better. Much less stumbling and backfiring than before. I've been using one of those Nu Rex cam wrenches to set the cam. I think I must have the timing off somewhat. That is such a pain to get to TDC with the timing pin. I never feel that I'm perfectly sure I'm at TDC.
Anyone like to chime in with their thoughts?
Thanks again.
Bill
Neshkoro is offline   Reply With Quote