View Single Post
Old 07-10-2020, 04:34 PM   #8
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: 40’ Ford Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
OK, Thanks for pointing out the failure of my brake question response.

I learned a few new tid bits.

Jim....You didn't fail anything! Maybe I'm just too critical! YOU know as well as anyone that OVERALL, and for just about ANY reason you can think of, the BENDIX brakes cannot be beat in any category that I can imagine when compared with the stock Lockheed-type brakes. I was merely trying to point-out that with like tires, and with the brakes locked-up, one won't stop any shorter than the other. NOW, as tire contact patch increases in area, the Lockheed brakes will become more and more marginal, until a point where there is so much tire in contact with the road that the brakes are not able to overcome the road friction with brake shoe friction. At that point, the Bendix brakes are just beginning to come into their own element. The reason that Lockheeds on the rear work well with Bendix brakes on the front is because under hard braking, weight transfers forward making the rear of the vehicle lighter, allowing the rear wheels/tires to lock-up even more-easily, as the work load requirements increase on the front brakes because of the increased weight, and the increased friction imposed on front tires/road surface. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote