View Single Post
Old 04-06-2020, 12:30 AM   #83
GB SISSON

Default Re: What in Tarnation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
80mph without overdrive in a diesel with 4.11's ???? come on GB, if i lived closer we would have to debate that over a beer or three. my stock 89 dodge is wound up at 75, i cruse at 65 with the supposed to be horrible getrag 5spd od. 373 gears, i think, no proof, never checked. now, off topic?? denny, this thread has been up for two months, you know the content, if not to your liken, dont look, its that easy. to come in just to make a negative comment just shows us you have nothing else to do. i come to the barn every day. many days i am only here long enough to scan the first page, and if there is nothing pertaining to my cars, or some knowledge to gain, i am gone. no point in reading that which does not interest me. often i go next to the model t ford club of america. that too, like the barn, predominately talk about model t fords, but...almost daily there will be ot talk that is very interesting. it could be a cool antique boat some guy just got, whats the best trailer tire, how to fix a crank up wall phone or a player piano. its all fun, and when its of no interest, i leave without complaining that it didnt fit my interest that day. gb is a talented guy with a variety of projects which i am happy that he shares with us. maybe we should just have more "what kind of oil should i use" threads that go on for a week
Cas, unlike your 6bt and the 4bt cummins diesels, the 6AT was originally designed and built by Onan engineers. When Cummins took over Onan in the early 80s? they inherited this engine that was built for their generators. I know nothing of electricity but these generator diesels were designed to develop their rated hp at 3600 rpms. I think your dodge stuff was like 2200 rpms. Huge difference . The 6at is an IDI engine with a pre combustion chamber. They run in the same rpm range as gas engines. An 82 gmc with a 454 or a 350 would do 80 mph, we all did it with 4.11 gears (normal) and a big block/small block would turn 3600 rpms . I'm not saying my 59 f350 would pull Stevens Pass pulling a trailer at 80 , but between Mt Vernon and Bellingham Wa, I did an honest 80 and that's with a driveshaft sleeved and welded using the engine and drivetrain as my lathe. Honestly , the difference we see is the 2200 rpm normal cummins in the dodge and the 3600 rpm onan generator engine I have which cummins adapted for diesel conversion into delivery vehicles. BTW!!!! Thanks for your support on this. The correct battery cable for a '36 puts me to sleep. zzzzzzzz
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 04-06-2020 at 12:36 AM.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote