View Single Post
Old 03-15-2020, 08:08 PM   #65
GB SISSON

Default Re: What in Tarnation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
that first test drive is so much fun!!!

I know, I know.... It was just supposed to be a stationary mockup to get things lined up and dialed in for transplant into my nice '47 tonner PU. Well it still is. Sort of. Just that yesterday my wife worked an extra shift and I was bored with my cabinet work. Add to this unseasonably cold so I had a raging fire in the shop stove. I had a totally seized steering box with shaft and wheel from a 1/2 ton. Green bible showed they were the same so I stuck the gear box end into the wood stove with the wheel 2' away from the open door. Sure enough she freed up and rolled pretty smooth after lubing it up. Then I dug up a rear driveshaft and bolted it in. After that a really junky exhaust system was worked up. With the factory cowl piece back on I hooked up a kill switch on the dash, just in case.....I mocked up an old seat from an FJ 40 landcruiser on some wood blocks. This will be bolted to the frame before I venture out. I have a rough oval track around my 10 acre piece with up and down hill grades. Won't need brakes for this. Stay tuned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mr Toad's wild ride.jpg (17.9 KB, 21 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote