View Single Post
Old 02-26-2020, 10:22 PM   #49
GB SISSON

Default Re: What in Tarnation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke3 View Post
GB, I am concerned about your choice of air filters for your 6AT installation. Attached is a link to an old Cummins video about the damage dust can cause to an engine, https://www.facebook.com/liftedlifet...1266004382770/. If the link doesn't search for Cummins Operation Hourglass.

There was also an SAE paper written on the development of that engine back in 1985 if you would like to know more of the technical details of the engine. The SAE paper number is 850260.

Wow, thanks for the warning. I have heard about turbos getting 'dusted', but have also heard that an oil bath air cleaner is a very good scrubber of air, but not as efficient as a modern paper element. I will use what keeps my engine working right even if I have to go 'modern. How do I get that sae paper? I will google it. I'm waiting for ups to deliver my wilwood 'pull type' clutch slave cylinder and master cyl for the frame horn and a braided steel cable to mate them. Still working on my remote spin on oil filter setup and need some creative radiator hoses. Then it's fire up in the frame time. I plan to roll it outside, warm it up and gunk and clean the engine on some sunny day.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote