View Single Post
Old 02-22-2020, 02:57 PM   #35
GB SISSON

Smile Re: What in Tarnation?

The process goes on. And on. I wasn't totally happy with my throttle linkage, so I cut the bell crank up and re-welded it and used a different pivot bearing in the center. Ford dealership called and said my 92 f350 was done so I got on the ferry and hitched a ride to the shop to pick it up. They had the driveshaft rebuilt, but turns out the flailing shaft had caused multiple teeth to shear off of the ring gear. I opted out of their offer to do a diff and trans service while it was there. I got out onto the highway and GRIND, RAP, CLASH,GNASH. Hellatious racket. I really needed that lumber back on the island for work. I was now a week behind schedule, which has been a tight one. Dang it, I should have had them do the diff service, they would have seen the chunks! I had a half hour to catch my ferry reservation for the 11am. As I neared the ferry terminal, a couple of construction workers looked up from their road work to see what in tarnation the racket was about. I was still a block away from them. Made it onto the ferry and parked it on the other side. Got my 3/4 ton 4wd suburban with my equipment trailer, off loaded 1500 bf of lumber onto that, called my buddie's tow truck who picked up the '92. Towed it to another friend's shop. He pulled the diff cover and said it had more bkoken teeth than whole ones. Lucky I bought both axles from a burned '94 f350 4x4 last year for 300.00. FRom my measurements I need to cut off the spring perches and weld them a bit inboard on the donor axle. It's a 4:10 and limited slip, so I'm doing ok. Heading over to his shop now to get some measurements before I move the perches. Dang, I can ramble on, but at least I'm only hijacking my own thread.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 02-23-2020 at 05:32 AM.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote