View Single Post
Old 02-23-2020, 06:28 PM   #15
rotorwrench

Default Re: Trunklid to tulip panel gap

Some of these old cars have had a rough life. Quarter panel damage or rear end damage can get things out of kilter. The other problem mentioned is quality of new replacement parts. They can be close but not close enough. It really helps when you have some old original parts to study. This is the best way to find out what dimensional differences might be.

I have heard of folks having to cut the metal on both right and left edges to reduce the width of parts that didn't fit the original opening. So far, I haven't heard of anyone having to add metal to any edge but then again, anything is possible. Many of the replacement panels below the deck lid have had fit problems over the years. This will affect deck lid fit too. It pays to get the best parts possible. I tend to repair parts before replacing them even if I have to cut them apart to do it. With missing parts, then a person is at the mercy of the supplier.

Your fit dimension 1/8" to 3/16" is pretty close. Ford used gap gauges to check fit and finish during assembly.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 02-23-2020 at 06:34 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote