View Single Post
Old 11-14-2018, 07:51 AM   #336
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

One thing I shall never forget about Japan.

I had never been to Japan and really had no need or desire to. That is not intended to degrade nor demean the country or it's people. I like their motor cars and electronic stuff and I have liked the few Japanese individuals I have met. However there simply was nothing that Japan and I have in common.
Out of the blue my son said “want to come to Singapore for an overnight dad?” That was okay because I had been there several times but only in transit. I’d never seen the outside of the terminal building except once had a jump seat arrival on a Malaysian flight. A big runway especially for a pilot who was accustomed only to farm airstrips.
Early in the afternoon son says Singapore is off, would you care to come to Japan. So off we go Cairns to Osaka. It was a big airliner and most characteristics were the same as my ag planes. Except turning around at the threshold of the runway. Now that surprised me. I didn’t know how we were going to do it but the turning radius was much smaller than I expected. I thought about this for a while then I realised the nose wheel was positioned aft of where the pilot sits. An enjoyable flight and particularly good service from the flight attendants. This is standard when your son is the captain.
I had no preconceived ideas of what to expect but I got no surprises. An upmarket hotel, crowded trains and city and a pebble beach. And the people? Well I couldn’t converse with them so learned very little.
I have spent 40 years aerial sowing rice in Australia. Paddock size varied from small to 400 acres. Well those who had even small back yards were growing. Maybe one/eighth of an acre although I did see two paddocks of about fifty acres.
One thing I shall never forget. The dunny. Asians do like to wash following nature calls. Mostly they use a hose and direct it by hand where it is needed. Nothing elaborate. Frequently they squat on western toilets and leave foot marks and water on the seat. But not at this hotel where we stayed. When one was ready one could have a wash and dry. For as long or as short a time as one desired. Temperature to ones choosing. It must have had an eye in the bowl because the warm jet of water hit exactly where it was wanted. There were several control functions on the control panel but I don't recall if one dialled the gender of the user. Maybe one could have an unintentional wash behind the scrotum aswell.
Other thingsI recall was the orderly manner of people and crowds. And no graffiti. People sleeping on the train to town, even short sectors. Sky was grey but not smoggy like Hong Kong and eastern China. Everything urban, mind you it is in Melbourne too. The immigration officer on my return was curious as to why I should spend less than 24 hours in Japan. I let him stew for quite a while before divulging.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new downloads 010.jpg (20.5 KB, 13 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote