View Single Post
Old 10-22-2018, 11:03 AM   #303
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

No one likes the Tax Man.

It was simply a need to replace a time expired or a poorly performing engine, ie worn out, each year and deduct the cost as an expense. A Pratt radial cost about 20K exchange at the time - during the eighties and early nineties.
My friend Robbie has purchased a turbine Thrush with an engine nearly time expired and in due course has it rebuilt. The rebuild costs of a turbine exceeds 200K and Robbie makes his tax claim accordingly. This is vastly different from the usual 20K and bells ring at the Tax Department. The question of whether an overhauled engine should be a deduction or depreciation now becomes the topic. Investigation into Robbie’s business is now underway and takes about 3 years to conclude. Robbie tells me to watch out because we all were in for an audit now.
And in due course I get a visit from the Tax Department. I ask the investigator what I have done to deserve him, knowing full well the answer. “we acquired expertise in this industry and now we will utilise it.” The investigation takes nearly a year then I am advised I am to be investigated for tax fraud. I have incorrectly made a legitimate deduction in the wrong financial year. This enquiry lasts another 18 months and I am charged for the offence. The fine, interest on money and costs weren’t great and of course they sort press publicity. Not one single person sided with the juggernaut but were jokingly sympathic to me.
They also investigated 2 other aviation business that I know of which exposes the tax investigators wretched attitude. Nasty little fellows they are.

This is my story for tomorrow and the names will be phoney.
Both the Pratt and Whitney radial and turbine ( PT6) shown here. Pictures from the internet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pratt radial engine.jpg (16.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg pt6.jpg (20.9 KB, 7 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote