View Single Post
Old 09-20-2021, 06:21 PM   #15
Rembrant

Default Re: ‘52 Flathead crankshaft end play

You guys were right. The ring gear is off...way off. I didn't realize until I took this all apart that the starter bendix pulls forward...the same direction that can pull the ring gear off the flywheel. In any case, it was certainly pulled off...one side much worse than the other. The largest gap is more than a quarter inch, assuming the ring gear is supposed to be seated on that shoulder.

The homemade pilot bushing is/was also an issue...you can see where the transmission input shaft splines wore into the bushing. Every now and then, I wasn't able to get it into reverse because the trans was still spinning with the clutch pressed. If I can't get a bearing for it, I'll have to have a thinner bushing made up, or counter sink the area where the snout of the trans input splines sit. Any thoughts on that, good or bad?

Still...the crank must still have a little bit of end play movement in it. I assume the ring gear was making the noise all along...the pressure plate would push it ahead far enough to just "tick" against the dust shield. That one specific start yesterday pulled the ring ahead far enough it started rubbing constantly.

Now to make a list of parts to order. Any suggestions on the best place to call that will have everything in-stock?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6579.jpg (134.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6580.jpg (109.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6581.jpg (90.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6582.jpg (96.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6584.jpg (90.1 KB, 50 views)
Rembrant is offline   Reply With Quote