View Single Post
Old 07-11-2020, 06:55 AM   #35
Licensed to kill

Default Re: Engine inspection (with pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
My SEWAG on this:

See reference about a small oil leak in your post #24.

1. Did you know that one cause of rear main leaks is restriction of the breather pipe?

Be sure that the breather tube cap that you use does not have a "Scotchbright" Pad or similar stuffed in the cap or tube.

These pads have been the cause of at least 3 or 4 engine rebuilds.

One guy had an engine fail, he paid $3500 to rebuild a second.

He put the same OLD "scotchbright" cap on his new engine and 70 miles later the oil pan was empty!!

2. See Post 1 photo 3: You have a breather extension tube installed. If you look closely you will see that the flexible tube is about third the diameter of the the breather-tube.

3. This restricts the passage of crankcase fumes which increases back pressure in crank case which sometimes is enough to force oil from the rear main which has NO seal as designed by Ford.

4. Removing this device MIGHT slow down your rear main leak.

5, THERE ARE CHEAP repro BREATHER CAPS THAT WILL BLOCK the breather when the cap is slammed on after adding oil.
When I bought the car it had a horrendous oil leak. Pulled the pan and found that the drain pipe was not even there. The boss where it screws into was broken so I had to weld one on. Since the pipe was not rolling around in the pan, SOMEONE knew it was not there. Some of the things you discover in a 80+ year old car.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote