View Single Post
Old 07-10-2020, 03:58 PM   #27
john charlton

Default Re: Engine inspection (with pics)

The engine in question is in a 1930 standard roadster . It did have a hefty rear main leak one you could never park on a neighbours drive !!! I re did the crank clearances and now even after a long test run in the chassis very few drops now, it did surprise me it made such a difference . It was when during extended running I could see that the blow by was excessive so it would need the funky extension tube . I fitted a "B" filler and now no oil droplets escaping . I checked the compression with two different testers . One reads 65 on all four the other 68 could be of course these are old and not very accurate . I have a 31 CCPU which has 55 on all 4 but no blow by at all and uses very little oil . This engine has excessive endfloat I would guess at least 40 thou and yet no rear main leak I guess maybe not much crank case pressure . The proof will be in the pudding when I get the roadster on the road hopefully in about 6 weeks or so . Maybe the rear main leak will return ( I guess it will !!!)

John in summer seems to have left the building 60 f and rain mid July RATS
Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote