View Single Post
Old 11-27-2020, 12:07 PM   #16
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Repair of Soft Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxweb View Post
I used the Liquid Wood & Wood Epox products on the B Pillar wood on my 30 coupe. Not structural wood but it was riddled with tack and staple holes making it near impossible to attach new windlace and interior panels. Worked very well.

https://www.abatron.com/product-cate...n-maintenance/
Contrary to what you may believe, the Quarter Lock Pillar Wood is very much structural wood for the body. It is actually what the quarter panel is screwed to from the backside. Remove that piece of wood and watch how flexible the body is in the jamb.

FWIW, the best way I have found to deal with old tack and staple holes is to buy a box of pointed toothpicks and dip the ends into wood glue, -then insert the pointed end into the holes in the wood and allow to dry (...think porcupine! ). Once dried, use a sharp wood chisel to shear the toothpick off at the base of the pillar wood. What I have found is most wood putties and/or fillers are intended to cover up the hole to make it aesthetically pleasing. If the wood has become hard (i.e.: lost its' elasticity), then when a new staple or tack is inserted into the wood, the wood fibers do not compress around the staple/tack enough to grip it firmly. Most epoxies I am familiar with do not allow for elasticity either. I would recommend against using any type of epoxy on the wood as a repair.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote