View Single Post
Old 08-19-2018, 11:35 AM   #226
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The Wonder Boy.

I was working out of Ingham in far north Queensland spraying sugar cane. A Cessna 182 arrived towing a glider in accompaniment with an engine powered glider that had departed Tocumwal, some 1500 nautical miles to the south. Pilots Peter Menhennett, Bill Riley and Bert Persons. Little did I realise I too would end up living and working at Tocumwal. An itinerant the first year and for ever after the next. That Christmas eve I asked Peter, the bloke mentioned above, if he could fly me to Tullamarine airport (Melbourne airport). Peter said no not really, but he could run me to Essendon airport which was close by and I could take a cab. Why, what be the difference I asked. Well Peter explained he was familiar with procedures of arrival and departure out of Essendon but not Tullamarine. If he messed up at Tulla and an incident report was created the aviation authority, CASA, would find out he had no pilot licence. It wasn’t worth the risk.
Eventually Peter did get a pilot licence.
My two sons Dennis and Michael’s first job was working at the Tocumwal gliding school with Peter and Bill Riley doing menial tasks and by saving their wages learned to fly gliders. Peter’s father in law Des Russell was their gliding instructor. The next year I taught them to fly aeroplanes and they towed gliders under the supervision of Peter.
One day years later Peter’s wife, Maryanne was flying to Darwin on the airliner and Dennis was captain. Her seat was upgraded. She later told Peter that never again was she flying economy. Of course Peter has long being a family friend and we all admire him. You'd have to wouldn't you. He flew all my planes but didn’t do ag work in them of course. Not that I know of anyway.

Footnote.
Peter’s father in law Des, was a gliding instructor and otherwise builder. He and Peter built my house near Tocumwal. Michael towed Des and others for 2 years and had accrued 700 plus hours before starting their first real flying job. Dennis for one season and accrued nearly 500. They both got their start from Peter, Des and Bill Riley.
In the morning Dennis flies Sydney- Auckland- Brisbane and Michael does Hong Kong-New York.
Des had an aneurism and died near Tamworth. I gave him the last flight and landing. To Tocumwal. Now that was sad.
And Peter, he remains the boy wonder.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote