View Single Post
Old 04-26-2020, 08:42 PM   #29
FortyNiner

Default Re: Make it Stop! ('46 Deluxe) - Epilogue

Problem Solved!

Again, thanks to all who responed - with a special callout to Supereal. Much appreciated.

Here's how things got fixed:

1. Installed speed bleeder valves
2. Bled each wheel such that the tube attached to the bleeder valve kept the valve wet. No air was allowed at the end of the bleeder.
3. Much patience with exercising the brake pedal.

This was really more about burping the system than bleeding. While some air (and fluid) was pushed out the WC, most of the air exited at the MC.

The result? A firm pedal that can lock up the wheels at will. Yaahoo!

Why did the fix work?

As I watched the MC during the bleeding process, it seemed that even with traditional practice of 'open valve, push pedal, close valve, release pedal' air was entering the line. Could have been sloppy technique (any fault was mine, not the helper), could have been sunspots, could have been bad mojo. In any event, the speed bleeders and a carefully positioned tube did the trick.

What's next?

I didn't ignore the comments about shoes and arcing. I'll take a look at the contact points between the shoes and drums and make adjustments as needed.

The honor of the first to ride shotgun went to my 86 YO FIL who owned a '37 3 window coupe and a '47 Fordor at points in his car owning past. He was also one of my 'rent-a-leg' helpers.

It was a good day. Thanks for playing along.