View Single Post
Old 11-07-2021, 12:44 PM   #8
Brendan

Default Re: Model A & Philco

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass A man View Post
Pdgx, I don't believe that Stewart Warner radio head is a genuine Ford radio. Someone put that blue oval Ford decal on it. Looks nice though! Trouble with an early radio in a Model A, first is the positive ground, whereas most all old car radios were negative ground radios. This CAN be gotten around. Then the high tension spark plug straps, un-insulated and other wiring needing suppression devices, mounting a radio with a metal gas tank as a dash board, very little firewall room, figuring out a good antenna without drilling into Ford sheet metal, (the old running board antennas didn't work out very well, too low). On & on... Crosley actually made a "small" radio in '31 that clamped to the steering column with a small speaker box mounted elsewhere. Usually had the antenna attached to the chicken wire in top, but that would need to be verified that it wasn't grounded! It wasn't unusual to have the radio shop pull down your headliner and insulate the top's chicken wire from ground points of the body, then connect it up to the radio's antenna with a shielded lead-in cable, down through the A pillar of car's body.
i think all Ford car radios where positive ground till 1956 when they came out with 12 volts

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote