View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 07:56 PM   #23
Johns30

Default Re: Front spring replacement advice - updated

I thought I would follow up to let everyone know that I have the new spring in, new shackles and bushings, and new shocks on, and it rides MUCH better than before!! I will attach a few pictures. A few thoughts and info:
1. The old spring had 9 leaves, the new one (from Snyders) has 10. Does anyone know why the old one only had 9??
2. My car has the modern shocks - the old u-bolt on the axle on the one side had too much thread on the shock side and it bashed a hole in the shock, so one of the original shocks was completely frozen! I'm sure this contributed to the harsh ride...
3. I beefed up the shock mount clamp on the bottom. Rather than using the small cheap u-bolts, I made a plate and then used grade 8 bolts.
4. The tube shocks are Monroe #5829 - spec'd for a 1978 Plymouth Volare . Don't ask me why but they seem to be the right size...first time I ever ordered parts for a Plymouth, LOL
Anyway, I think the project was a success. Someday when I'm rich I'll consider an original shock set up. Thanks again for all of your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spring apart.jpg (58.2 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg perch.jpg (45.1 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg spring comparison.jpg (85.1 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg spring final.jpg (51.0 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg close up.jpg (61.6 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by Johns30; 08-07-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Johns30 is offline   Reply With Quote