View Single Post
Old 08-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #43
ericr

Default Re: What Part Would You Want to See Reproduced with Quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
ericr;919977 said;

Well, yes and no, isn't it? I just posted a comment where I returned a US made open car door lock that was substantially more expensive than foreign made but no greater in quality. On the flip side, Brattons's new headlamp reflectors seem to be gathering praise (and hopefully sales) and are substantially higher in cost than the former ones. Am I to think Walt doesn't know what he is doing or never heard of ROI?
No, Walt & Jeff are pretty smart guys who have traveled down this road many miles however most folks do not realize the behind-the-scenes obstacles they had to overcome just to manufacture reflectors. If I recall correctly, these have been 3-4 years in the making trying to find a manufacturer that will take on the project, produce in small (-affordable) quantities, and supply with Q/C from batch to batch. It goes without saying that if it were not for Walt's "depth" of his other parts, the reflectors would likely have never came to fruition by him. In other words, an average small businessman could not take the same idea and manufacture reflectors, and survive off of the sales. So what does that say about the parts manufacturing business in general?

Members have commented on who sells better running boards and trim, better nuts and bolts, carb jets, points, condenser and many other things and I think you advise people where to buy better fender welting.
Ok, you DO realize there is a magazine that is supposed to offer this very information to hobbyists.

The thought to ponder is how do folks here REALLY know which is better quality? How many on forums offer/give that advice based on hearsay but have no first-hand experience with the advice they are giving you? You mentioned running boards, ...so how many posters here actually get to personally install a pair from both vendors within a short amount of time to be able to say why one is better than the other. Adding to that, how many actually have studied the original item to compare? Very, -very few get this opportunity,--and that is why finding a parts vendor you can have a solid relationship with who gets feedback from reliable sources is key.

As far as "better" though, when you read some of the posts above, "better" is also defined as 'something affordable' or 'something that will get me by'. Those folks are being honest, ...many others have that same thought or mindset but choose not to speak it verbally however they show it with their wallet by what they purchase. Face it, if two like items are available in repro., it stands to reason that the better quality item will force the lesser-quality item to no longer sell and the manufacturer of the poorer-quality item ceases production in a matter of time. The problem is, the vendors will tell you that history dictates that just isn't the case.

I think nature, size, complexity and ultimate price of the part at issue might also be involved in the mix. Surely no one expects sellers to take a risk of loss but I also suspect there is some pecking order of parts dealers, some of whom can afford to take greater risks of ROI than others.
Trust me when I tell you that manufacturers AND sellers alike take a HUGE risk every time they place an order. There seemingly is no loyalty amongst hobbyists, and as such the majority of sales is driven off of price & convenience. Take this for example, let's suppose the word is getting around about how nice Walt's new reflectors really are. Now, a small (greedy) businessman buys a couple of his reflectors and sends them off to China or India to have the reverse-engineered and copied. Now without the R&D expense Walt incurred, nor his Marketing expenses or product acceptance risk, this person imports his reflectors and retails them for $20 less because his overhead/risk was lower. You know that Loyalty 'thingie' I just spoke about, there ain't none! Folks will get on the forums and tout how the new import is cheaper and just as good! Now Walt is left holding the bag trying to get at least get back to a break-even position.

Did someone say Nah, that probably wouldn't happen?. Don't tell that to me. If you don't believe me, then research Model-A brake drums and the like!! How is any of this good for the hobby? Justify it any way you like, but poor quality parts are the direct fault of the hobbyist, and not the vendor! The parts vendor/manufacturer only does what the customer asks for!
well nobody has so undercut Champion 3X plugs so as to cause them to cease production, and whenever anyone mentions them on Amazon, there is a stampede to buy them at a modest savings. But I am sure there is far more truth than poetry to what you are saying. I simply hope there are enough restorers that are willing to put their $ where their mouth is, and support our suppliers that take the risk to market better-quality parts.

If you read the publications, even when the cars were new, after-market suppliers were undercutting the factory on quality vs. price. Northing new under the sun, is there.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote